After the fall of the Soviet Union and a period of deep economic and cultural crisis, the Russian Federation has regained its leading role in the international arena. Today Moscow is, along with Washington and Beijing, one of the three centers of world power.
Historically, Moscow has always been a pole of power centralization, as it was the capital of the USSR, the protagonist of the Cold War. Moscow kept its status of capital of the biggest country of the world since 1991.
Several elements define the influence of Russia in world politics: the permanent seat in the UN Security Council, the possesion of the world biggest neclear arsenal, its military industry anda arms market and the leading position in oil and gas production make Moscow the best place for a Study Mission addressed to students who want to discover more about Europe’s ambivalent neighbor.
Moscow is also the biggest city of Europe and, with over 15mln inhabitants, it is characterized by a galvanizing dynamism. Restored Soviet monuments dominate the cityscape, alongside futuristic skyscrapers, which represent the revitalization of Russian power in Putin era.
Moscow is fierce of its cultural identity, which is nor European nor precisely Russian, but a mix coming from different regions of the former Soviet Union, making Moscow unique
The WiP – Study Mission project will help students to understand the mechanisms of power of the Russian economic and political leadership and will orient participants to elaborate analysis on controversial topics: Transatlantic relations with the US, Russian incluence in foreign electoral processes and its role in war-torn countries.
The stay in Moscow will also be a unique opportunity to interact with Russia’s ruling class.
By the end of the program, students willa have gained a deeper understanding of Europe’s most influential neighbor.
The goal of the project is to allow participants to open their minds and leave the pre-existing narrative behind. We will try to understand what obstacle hinder the cooperation with the EU and what are the future prospects, in light of the recent isolationist and populist tendencies, that seem to have taken hold all over the world, from the United States to Europe and look at Russia as the main political partner.
Participants will also have the opportunity to discover in parctice how dialogue and collaboration constitute always an asset: the extraordinary economic and commercial partnership between Russia and EU, despite the ongoing sanctions regime, make this relationship inevitable and – you will realize – even indispensable.
The structure of the WiP – Study Mission is divided into three parts:
- a webinar course held by experts, specialized in Russian history, organized in 4 lessons from September 2nd to 20th;
- Moscow, 7 days of meetings with Institutions, diplomats, managers and opinion makers;
- Site-visits to historically important areas of the city, exploring secrets and peculiarities of the local communities, religion and culture.
For more informations, please download the brochure
What is included in the participation fee?
- Preparatory course
- Hotel stay
- All meetings and activities listed in the itinerary
- Certification of participation
What is not included in the participation fee?
- Round-trip airfare to/from Moscow
- Lunches and dinners
- City tours and museum fees
- Airport-hotel transfers
The goal of eastwest European Institute is to involve students, selected on merit, providing them with specialized training, finalized to a career in diplomacy, international affairs, advocacy and international business.
- Two of our fellow students will be travelling to Moscow thanks to 2 scholarship of 1.000€ each, awarded by our partner Philip Morris.
- EWEI scholarship credits (from 100 to 500€) will be awarded to all participants of the WiP – Study Mission Moscow program which fulfilled the following criteria:
- Previous participation to an EWEI or Associazione Diplomatici course;
- University grade point average of 27/30 or equivalent;
- Interview on general knowledge of International relations;
- English language at C1 level;
- Single – income family.
Within 48 hours from the interview, candidates who pass this phase of the application process will receive:
- confirmation of the success of their application
- indication of the moneraty value of any scholarship credit awarded
- additional instructions to complete the enrollment process.
How to Participate
To participate to the WiP – Study Mission, candidates must successfully pass a selection interview. Selection criteria will include the candidate’s motivation to participate in the program, their interest in international relations and a good level of English.
Interview results will be communicated to the applicants within 48 hours.
Candidates who successfully pass the interview will receive the Wip – Study Mission Service Contract via the email address indicated on their application form.
The WiP – Study Mission Service Contract, which shall be completed and signed by the selected party, must be return within 72 hours of receipt, together with proof of payment by wire transfer of a € 250 down payment to guarantee the participation.
This down payment of € 250 will be subtracted from the balance still to be paid by the participant.
Wire transfers should be sent according to the following instructions:
UNICREDIT Bank S.p.A. – account number: IBAN IT 23 T 0200 8032 92000104987144
- Beneficiary: “European Diplomacy” (the operative company of the EWEI Institute)
- Transfer Funds for: “First and Last Name of the participant, Down payment WiP Moscow 2019“
- Proof of Wire Transfer sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Master's in International Humanitarian Law and Armed Conflicts at SUISS/CASD | ItalyStudy Mission Qatar 2021