Turkey, with its history, has heavily impacted the identity of the Mediterranean region. The country’s rich archeological, religious and cultural heritage, together with its strategic geographical position, make Turkey a pivotal bridge between Middle East and the Western Hemisphere. However, the process of Turkey’s accession to the European Union remains one of the most complex and controversial challenges of the century.
In this complex environment, Istanbul (once Bysantium and Constantinople) is the perfect place to understand the main political, economic and diplomatic dynamics of the whole region.
The city’s position between two different seas, the composition of its population, and the variety of its artistic and religious outcomes contribute to make Istanbul a unique spyglass on many geopolitical issues.
Today Istanbul is the right place to approach the eastern-western studies, due to its complex combination of geographical, ethnical, cultural and political situations.
The WiP – Study Mission project will help students to understand the importance of a strategic partnership between Europe and Turkey and will orient participants to elaborate analysis on controversial topics: migrations, terrorism, climate change, financial crisis.
The stay in Istanbul will also be a unique opportunity to interact with Turkey’s ruling class.
By the end of the program, students will have gained a deeper understanding of a key candidate country and of the mechanisms of partnership with Europe.
The goal of the project is to allow participants to open their minds and leave the pre-existing narrative behind. We will try to understand what obstacles hinder the EU accession process and what are the future prospects, in light of the recent isolationist and populist tendencies, that seem to have taken hold all over the world, from the United States to Europe.
Participants will also have the opportunity to discover in practice how dialogue and collaboration constitute always an asset: the extraordinary economic and commercial partnership between Turkey and EU make this relationship inevitable and – you will realize – even indispensable.
The structure of the WiP – Study Mission is divided in three parts:
- a webinar course held by experts, specialized in Turkish history, organized in 4 lessons between May 13 and June 7, with special focus on the process of accession to the European Union;
- Istanbul, 7 days of meetings with Institutions, diplomats, managers and opinion makers;
- Site-visit to historically important areas of the city, exploring secrets and peculiarities of the local communities, religion and culture
For more informations please download the Brochure
Date: June 09 – 16, 2019
What is included in the participation fee?
- Preparatory course
- Hotel stay
- All meetings and activities listed in the itinerary
- Certification of participation
What is not included in the participation fee?
- Round-trip airfare to/from Istanbul
- Lunches and dinners
- Museum fees
- Airport-hotel transfers and short city transfer
The goal of eastwest European Institute is to involve students, selected on merit, providing them with specialized training, finalized to a career in diplomacy, international affairs, advocacy and international business.
EWEI offers scholarship credit incentives to the most competitive participants of the Wip – Study Mission Istanbul program.
Scholarship credits will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Previous participation to an EWEI or Associazione Diplomatici course;
- University grade point average of 27/30 or equivalent;
- Interview on general knowledge of International relations;
- English language at C1 level;
- Single – income family.
Within 48 hours from the interview, candidates who pass this phase of the application process will receive:
- confirmation of the success of their application
- indication of the moneraty value of any scholarship credit awarded (from 5% to a maximum of 20%)
- additional instructions to complete the enrollment process.
How to Participate
To participate to the WiP – Study Mission, candidates must successfully pass a selection interview. Selection criteria will include the candidate’s motivation to participate in the program, their interest in international relations and a good level of English.
Interview results will be communicated to the applicants within 48 hours.
Candidates who successfully pass the interview will receive the Wip – Study Mission Service Contract via the email address indicated on their application form.
The WiP – Study Mission Service Contract, which shall be completed and signed by the selected party, must be return within 72 hours of receipt, together with proof of payment by wire transfer of a € 250 down payment to guarantee the participation.
This down payment of € 250 will be subtracted from the balance still to be paid by the participant.
Wire transfers should be sent according to the following instructions:
UNICREDIT Bank S.p.A. – account number: IBAN IT 23 T 0200 8032 92000104987144
- Beneficiary: “European Diplomacy” (the operative company of the EWEI Institute)
- Transfer Funds for: “First and Last Name of the participant, Down payment WiP Istanbul 2019“
- Proof of Wire Transfer sent to firstname.lastname@example.org