Turkey, with its history, has heavily impacted the identity of the Mediterranean region.
The country’s rich archeological, religious and cultural heritage, together with its strategic geographical position, make Turkey a pivotal bridge between Middle East and the Western Hemisphere. However, the process of Turkey’s accession to the European Union remains one of the most complex and controversial challenges of the century.
In this complex environment, Istanbul (once Byzantium and Constantinople) is the perfect place to understand the main political, economic and diplomatic dynamics of the whole region.
The city’s position between two different seas, the composition of its population and its artistic and religious relevance contribute to make Istanbul a unique spyglass on many geopolitical issues.
Today, Istanbul is the right place to approach the eastern-western studies, due to its complex combination of geographical, ethnical, cultural and political situations.
The WiP – Study Mission project will help students to understand the importance of a strategic partnership between Europe and Turkey and will orient participants in the complex analysis of controversial topics: migrations, terrorism, climate change, financial crisis.
The stay in Istanbul will also be a unique opportunity to interact with Turkey’s ruling class.
By the end of the program, students will have gained a deeper understanding of a key candidate to EU membership and of the mechanisms of partnership with Europe.
The goal of the project is to allow participants to open their minds and leave the pre-existing narrative behind. We will try to understand what obstacles hinder the EU accession process and what are the future prospects, in light of the recent isolationist and populist tendencies that seem to have taken hold all over the world, from the United States to Europe.
Participants will also have the opportunity to discover in practice how dialogue and collaboration always constitute an asset: the extraordinary economic and commercial partnership between Turkey and EU makes this relationship inevitable and – students will realize – even indispensable
The structure of the WiP – Study Mission is divided in three parts:
- a webinar course held by experts, specialized in Turkish history, organized in 4 lessons with special focus on the process of accession to the European Union;
- Istanbul, 7 days of meetings with Institutions, diplomats, managers and opinion makers;
- Site-visit to historically important areas of the city, exploring secrets and peculiarities of the local communities, religion and culture.
Date: July 2020
What is included in the participation fee?
- Online training course
- All meetings and activities listed in the program
- Accomodation at the Koç University Campus
- Participation certificate
What is not included in the participation fee?
- Round-trip airfare to/from Istanbul
- Lunches and dinners
- Museum fees
- Airport-hotel transfers and short city transfer
The goal of eastwest European Institute is to involve students, selected on merit, providing them with specialized training, finalized to a career in diplomacy, international affairs, advocacy and international business.
Two of our fellow students will be travelling to Istanbul thanks to a scholarship (of about 60% of the 1650€ of total fee) awarded by our partner Philip Morris.
EWEI offers scholarship credit incentives to the most competitive participants of the Wip – Study Mission Istanbul program.
Scholarship credits will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Previous participation to an EWEI or Associazione Diplomatici course;
- University grade point average of 27/30 or equivalent;
- Interview on general knowledge of International relations;
- English language at C1 level;
- Single – income family.
How to participate
To participate to the WiP – Study Mission, candidates must successfully pass a selection interview. Selection criteria will include the candidate’s motivation to participate in the program, their interest in international relations and a good level of English.
Interview results will be communicated to the applicants within 48 hours.
Candidates who successfully pass the interview will receive the Wip – Study Mission Service Contract via the email address indicated on their application form.
The WiP – Study Mission Service Contract, which shall be completed and signed by the selected party, must be return within 72 hours of receipt, together with proof of payment by wire transfer of a € 250 down payment to guarantee the participation.
This down payment of € 250 will be subtracted from the balance still to be paid by the participant.
Wire transfers should be sent according to the following instructions:
UNICREDIT Bank S.p.A. – account number: IBAN IT 23 T 0200 8032 92000104987144
- Beneficiary: “European Diplomacy” (the operative company of the EWEI Institute)
- Transfer Funds for: “First and Last Name of the participant, Down payment WiP Istanbul 2020“
- Proof of Wire Transfer sent to email@example.com